Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day?


Today is Mother's Day. When I was a kid this was the best day of the year. My mom and I were best of friends, always there for one another. I would always give my gift way too soon and would use that excuse to give her more. She always gave me more and then some. Now that she is not here, I hate this day and cannot wait for it to be over. I know it is selfish, but today reminds me of what I miss. I miss my her. During my teenage years, I swore I would never be like my mom but now I know I am my mother and I carry on her legacy and that's pretty OK with me.

I haven't carried a child inside my body or labored to push one out into the world. Its not that I don't like kids, but I don't think I really have the patience for them. Does that make me a bad person. I don't think so, a responsible one eh maybe. I do have patience for the lost souls that others do not want or have recklessly discarded. The zoo which I lovingly call it, consists of fish, birds, bearded dragons, turtles, ferrets, cats and a dog. They rely on me to care for them, protect them and guard them from harm. In their eyes I am their parent. I do what is best for them, love them unconditionally and let them carve out a piece of my heart. Am I a Mom? You betcha. Do I deserve to celebrate this day. Some would say no, but I would have to ask the zoo, they say "Mother's Day?" Every day with her is Mother's Day. I love you critters...

No comments:

Post a Comment