Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I fell in Love on a Saturday Morning...




I am not person who "loves" everything. I am jaded and pragmatic and the older I get, the more cranky and inpatient I have become. But there is one area in my life that I seem to open my heart and flourish. Animals. I am an avid animal person. I hate the thought of people treating animals like they are possessions to be disposed of when times are tough or they don't fit into your lifestyle. Most of my "zoo" which I like to call it is full of pets that others did not want. They have a home with me for as long as their lifespan or as long as I can still afford to keep them all. I am in the middle of getting ready to move and my house is figuratively in disarray but the critters will all go with us when we move.

Saturday we headed to the Doo Dah Parade (more on that in another post). The person sitting next to us had a beautiful dog named Daisy. I had planned on just saying hi and letting it go, but this adorable dog was there for a reason. She was 3 years old and had recently been adopted by this man 10 weeks ago after being shuttled through 7 homes. Oh yeah did I say SEVEN homes! She had been abused and her ACL in her knee was out and she would need surgery. One look into her brown eyes and I was a goner. The man was trying to introduce her to new sights and sounds. She was scared and unpredictable. The street vendor who was selling hats and horns tried to pet her and she didn't like him. The owner said she didn't like men much. She loved Brendan and I. She could smell our rescue dog Sam (again another post) and I would hold my palm out so she could lick my hand. That seemed to calm her down. There were kids and clowns and basset hounds and wiener dogs. She would shake in fear and anticipation, but she was very well behaved.

Had the owner offered to me I would have without a doubt taken her home in a second. My heart was hers on Saturday Morning and when I think of her now my eyes tear up. After the parade, I sat on the curb and whispered sweet nothings to Daisy while the man gathered up his chairs and Daisy's water bowl. I said my last goodbyes and the man thanked us for making Daisy's day at the Parade a less stressed one. She was the one that made my day a less stressed one, by allowing my heart to open and have her come into my life for a brief time. Thank you Daisy, you will always have a home in my heart. Thank you for reminding me that I do have a heart and I am still capable of love at first sight on a Saturday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment